This is descripitive study conducted to identify educational needs of mothers of nephrotic syndrome patients.
The study subjects were composed of 74 mothers of nephrotic syndrome patients whose children were hospitalized in 2 Pediatric wards of University Hospital in Seoul and 1 in Pusan from June to september in 1996. A questionnaire for this study was item Kikert type 5 point scale, developed on the basis of previous literature and researcher's clinical experience and the reliability of the used instruments was alpha=.97. t-test, and ANOVA were used to determine the effect of general characteristics of subjects on their educational needs. Pearson correlation was done to measure relations between general characteristics of subjects and their educational needs and Stepwise Multiple Regression was done to test a variable affecting educational needs.
The results were as follows.
1. Mean score of the educational needs of the subjects was 137.06(Maximum 176). The educational needs of home care was the highest score, but the question numbers are smaller than other categories. So, the educational need of the diagnosis and treatment was regarded as the highest in contents.
2. The number of subject's children, except for patient revealed significant negative correlation to educational need.
3. The number of subject's children, except for patient(R2=.215289 P=.0006) and the age of patient(R2=.23770 P=.0001) were emerged as important variables affecting the degree of mothers' educational need.
Suggestion are as follows on the basis of these results.
1. It is proposed that nurses use these results of the study activity for the educational program for Nephrotic Syndrome patients and their mothers.
2. It is identified that the educational needs of the mothers of nephrotic syndrome is high, So, it is suggested to identify and analysis the degree of the nurse's educational performance perceived by mother 3. It is suggested to make a comparative study of the degree of nurse's understanding of the importance on educational items with the instruments of this study.