This is descripitive study conducted to identify educational needs of mothers of nephrotic syndrome patients and the degree of the importance of educational activity perceived by nurses who look after nephrotic syndrome patients.
The study subject were composed of 60 mothers & 63 nurses of nephrotic syndrome patients whose children were hospitalized in 2 Pediatric wards of University Hospital in Seoul and 1 in Pusan from Mar. in 1997 to July 1997. A questionnaire for this study was item Kikert type 5 point scale, developed on the basis of previous literature and researcher's clinical experience and the reliability of the used instruments was alpha=.97.
The data analysis was done by SAS. t-test, and ANOVA were done to determine the effect of general characteristics of subjects on their educational needs. T-test was done to measure relations between the degree of educational needs and importance of educational activity.
The results were as follows.
1. The Educational needs of mothers ranked as the highest in home care.
2. In character of mothers, the degree of education, economic state, the number of child and occupation was significant in statistically.
3. The importance of educational activity of nurses ranked the highest in diagnosis and treatment of the disease.
4. The educational needs of nephrotic syn, children' mother and importance of nurses were different in diagnosis and treatment of the disease and home care.
On the basis of these results, we suggest as follows.
1. It is proposed that nurses use these results of the study actively for the educational program for Nephrotic Syndrome patients and their mothers.
2. It is suggested to make a comparative study of the degree of nurses' understanding of the importance on educational items with the instruments of this study.